Joenel Aguero leads Latino All-America team
Alabama commit Raymond Pulido and Ohio State commit Joshua Padilla highlight deep Latino offensive line talent
In a year heavy with blue chip Latino offensive linemen, safety Joenel Aguero leads Our Esquina’s football preseason Latino All-America team. The hard-hitting star from St. John’s Prep is rated the second best prospect in Massachusetts in the class of 2023.
Aguero, who is proud of his Dominican Republic roots, has been recruited by every elite program in the country. He is rated the 37th best prospect and fifth best safety in America by 247sports.
The 6-foot-1, 195-pounder has committed to Kirby Smart’s defending national champion Georgia Bulldogs. He also leads what could be the best class of Latino football recruits in history, especially along the offensive line.
There are so many Latino hogs in this class, Hall of Famer Anthony Muñoz would surely be proud.
Loaded offensive line
You could fill a national championship offensive line from Our Esquina’s preseason high school Latino All-America team. These skill position stars can also light up the scoreboard, beginning with speedy Folsom (Calif.) wide receiver Rico Flores.
Some of the defensive stars excel on both sides of the line, as Penn State commit Tony Rojas and Miami commit Raul Aguirre showed last week.
You know you’re a stud when Nick Saban wants you in a class that is currently ranked No. 1 in the country. Apple Valley offensive tackle Raymond Pulido, a 6-foot-6, 322-pounder, is committed to Alabama.
Joshua Padilla, a 6-foot-4, 285-pounder from Wayne High in Huber Heights, Ohio, is committed to Ohio State. Offensive lineman Dominic Rivera, a 6-foot-8, 315-pound giant from Olmstead Falls, Ohio, is committed to Rutgers. Harrisburg (Penn.) Bishop McDevitt lineman Gabriel Arena is committed to Virginia Tech.
Drew Perez, a 6-foot-7, 330-pound tackle from Southlake Carroll (Texas), is committed to Colorado. Tackle Nick Oliveira of New Jersey’s Clearview Region High is committed to Cincinnati.
San Diego Madison High tackle Jonah Rodriguez, who is 6-foot-4, 263 pounds, is uncommitted. Justin De Leon of HM King high in Kingsville, Texas, is drawing plenty of interest at 6-foot-3, 290 pounds.
There are also a pair of Class of 2024 linemen on the 2023 Latino All-America team. Tackle Isaiah Garcia, who plays at Cyprus High in Magna, Utah, is 6-foot-5 and 280 pounds. Daniel Cruz, a 6-foot-3, 295-pounder junior from Richland High in Texas, already has received offers from several of the top programs in America.
Rico Flores can fly
Several Latinos are among the best skill position players in America. Flores is committed to Notre Dame. Princeton, N.J, Hun School quarterback Marco Lainez is committed to Iowa.
Lainez will likely throw to fellow Hawkeyes commit Alex Mota, the Marion (Iowa) High star whose father played minor-league baseball in the Angels’ system.
Raul “Popo” Aguirre packs a powerful punch. He also excels as a running back, but his future appears on defense.
Our Esquina’s 2023 preseason Latino All-America football team also will hit you in the mouth, especially Aguero.
Cornerback JShawn Frausto-Ramos, who stars at California power St. John Bosco, is set for Stanford. Fayetteville (Georgia) Whitewater High’s Raul Aguirre is committed to Miami.
Four-star linebacker Tony Rojas of Fairfax (Virginia) High is committed to Penn State. The speedy Rojas is so versatile, he scoured six touchdowns on offense last week.
23 for 2023 in Alphabetical order
Latino All-America Offense
- David Amador, WR, North Shore (Texas), 5-foot-11, 175 pounds, committed to UTSA.
- Anthony Albanez, athlete, St. Bonaventure (Ventura, Calif.), 6-foot, 195 pounds, uncommitted.
- Gabriel Arena, OT, Bishop McDevitt (Harrisburg, Penn.), 6-foot-4, 270 pounds, committed to Virginia Tech.
- Kevin Concepcion, WR, Chambers (N.C.), 5-foot-11, 175 pounds, uncommitted.
- Daniel Cruz, OL, Richland High (Texas), 6-foot-3, 295 pounds, Class of 2024 uncommitted.
- Justin De Leon, OL, HM King (Kingsville, Texas), 6-foot-3, 290 pounds, uncommitted.
- Rico Flores, WR, Folsom (Calif.), 6-foot-1, 190 pounds, committed to Notre Dame.
- Zane Flores, QB, Gretna (Neb.), 6-foot-4, 195 pounds, committed to Oklahoma State.
- Isaiah Garcia, OT, Cyprus High in Magna, Utah, 6-foot-5, 280 pounds, Class of 2024 uncommitted.
- Carlos Hernandez, WR, Monrovia (Calif.), 6-foot, 180 pounds, committed to Washington State
- Marco Lainez, QB, (Princeton, N.J.) Hun School, 6-foot-3, 225 pounds, committed to Iowa.
- Sebastian Lopez, K, Carroll High School (Fort Wayne, Ind.), 6-foot-1, 168 pounds, uncommitted.
- Alex Mota, athletes, Marion (Iowa), 6-foot-1, 175 pounds, committed to Iowa.
- Nick Oliveira, OT, (Mullica Hill, N.J.) Clearview Region, 6-foot-5, 285 pounds, committed to Cincinnati.
- Joshua Padilla, OL, Wayne High (Huber Heights, Ohio), 6-foot-4, 285 pounds, committed to Ohio State.
- Raymond Pulido, OG, Apple Valley (Calif.), 6-foot-6, 322 pounds, committed to Alabama.
- Dominic Rivera, OL, Olmstead Falls (Ohio), 6-foot-8, 315 pounds, committed to Rutgers.
- Jonah Rodriguez, OT, San Diego (Calif.) Madison, 6-foot-4, 263 pounds, uncommitted.
Latino All-America Defense
- Joenel Aguero, DB, St. John’s Prep (Lynn., Mass.), 6-foot, 200 pounds, committed to Georgia
- Raul Aguirre, ILB, (Fayetteville, Ga.) Whitewater High, 6-foot-2, 218 pounds, Miami.
- JShawn Frausto-Ramos, S, St. John Bosco (Bellflower, Calif.), 6-foot, 170 pounds, committed to Stanford.
- Tylen Gonzalez, DL, Carlsbad (N.M.), 6-foot-6, 250 pounds, committed to Arizona.
- Tony Rojas, OLB, Fairfax (Va.), 6-foot-3, 205 pounds, committed to Penn State.
Stay in the Loop
Get the Our Esquina Email Newsletter
By submitting your email, you are agreeing to receive additional communications and exclusive content from Our Esquina. You can unsubscribe at any time.