2021 MLB Season: 21 blessings
21 things we’re thankful about the 2021 MLB Season
2021 MLB Season: Things to be thankful for: 10 – 12
10. Andrew Velazquez’s Dream Come True in New York
For the most part, Andrew Velazquez has been a minor league lifer. Since the age of 17, the Bronx native has spent time with organizations such as the Diamondbacks, Ras, Indians, Baltimore, and, this year, the Yankees.
Growing up, Velazquez dreamt of getting to wear the Yankee pinstripes. Well, for 28 games during the 2021 MLB season, he was able to do just that. What’s more, he quickly became a fan favorite for his defensive play and timely hitting.
11. Salvador Perez’s Home Run Record
MLB fans lauded Vladimir Guerrero Jr. for coming close to winning the first triple crown since Miguel Cabrera in 2012. Little did they know, Kansas City Royals catcher Salvador Perez was even closer.
|Runs Batted In||111||121|
Perez’s 48 home runs this season were the most hit by a major league catcher in MLB history. It is the most hit by a catcher since Johnny Bench his 45 in 1970.
12. The Trade Deadline Blockbusters are Back!
After years of little to no activity at the trade deadline, this season blockbusters made a comeback. With so many teams in contention, it seemed most of the league wanted to make a push for a playoff run. Here are some examples of this year’s biggest moves.
- Kris Bryant was traded to the San Francisco Giants,
- Javy Baez was traded to the New York Mets
- Athony Rizzo and Joey Gallo were traded to the New York Yankees
- Max Scherzer and Trae Turner were traded to the Los Angeles Dodgers
- Kyle Schwarber was traded to the Boston Red Sox
- Starling Marte was traded to the Oakland Athletics
Stay in the Loop
Get the Our Esquina Email Newsletter
By submitting your email, you are agreeing to receive additional communications and exclusive content from Our Esquina. You can unsubscribe at any time.