UTEP’s Reynaldo Flores shines against Oklahoma
UTEP's Reynaldo Flores earns Our Esquina's College Football Player of the Week
Reynaldo Flores and his University of Texas El Paso teammates didn’t pull off the upset in Norman. The Miners were actually routed by the Big 12 powerhouse Saturday, yet Flores made some memories of a lifetime.
Long after the 45-13 score is forgotten, Flores will cherish his performance in the loss against the mighty Sooners. How many former walk-ons can say they balled out against the No. 9 team in the country?
That’s exactly what Reynaldo Flores, a native of El Paso, did against Oklahoma. The sixth-year senior wide receiver/running back caught seven passes for 76 yards to earn Our Esquina’s Latino college football Player of the Week honors.
Reynaldo Flores stars on and off the field
The 6-foot, 205-pound Flores appears to have a bright future ahead, on or off the field. The mechanical engineering major graduated third in his class from El Paso’s Ysleta High.
After enrolling at his mother Leticia’s alma mater, he redshirted his freshman season. Then he made the Conference USA Commissioner’s Honor Roll and was Academic Medalist each of the next four seasons.
Now, Reynaldo Flores can tell his family how he caught seven passes on one glorious Saturday in Norman, Okla., against the mighty Oklahoma Sooners.
Mariano Sori-Marin leads Gophers defense
- Minnesota linebacker Mariano Sori-Marin had a team-leading five tackles in a victory over New Mexico State.
- Oregon defensive back Christian Gonzalez made four tackles in a 49-3 loss to the defending national champion Georgia Bulldogs.
- Washington State’s Ron Stone, Jr., notched a tackle for loss and a sack, along with a quarterback hurry in the Cougars 24-17 win over the University of Idaho.
- Washington State defensive lineman Christian Mejia had three tackles in the winning effort.
Rundown on Latino contributions
- Colorado wide receiver Daniel Arias led all Buffaloes receivers in catches (4) and yards (66) in a loss to TCU.
- Arizona State’s Chris Martinez started at right guard for the Sun Devils in a 40-3 rout over Northern Arizona.
- Oregon State freshman running back Damien Martinez carried the ball 11 times for 44 yards as the Beavers doubled up Andy Avalos’ Boise State Broncos, 34-17.
- Kansas State quarterback Adrian Martinez was 11-of-15- for 53 yards and ran for 39 yards and a touchdown on 13 carries in his first start at quarterback for the Wildcats.
- RJ Garcia II caught one pass for 17 yards.
- Iowa backup quarterback Alex Padilla saw no action in a Hawkeyes 7-6 victory over South Dakota State. Iowa generated only 166 yards of total offense and no touchdowns. Their seven points were the result of a first half field goal and two second half safeties.
- Iowa junior safety Sebastian Castro notched one tackle.
Xavier Restrepo starred against Bethune
Miami wide receiver Xavier Restrepo caught five passes for a career-high 100 yards and a touchdown in a 70-13 rout over FCS Bethune-Cookman. Restrepo caught all the passes thrown his way.
“That’s what we’re supposed to do as receivers, catch the ball, nothing too special,” he told the Miami media afterward.
- Miami quarterback Jake Garcia also saw action and threw for 88 yards and completed all seven pass attempts.
- North Carolina tight end Kamari Morales had three catches for 31 yards in the Tar Heels’ narrow win over in-state rival Appalachian State.
- San Diego State’s Jesse Matthews hauled in two passes for 18 yards as the Aztecs fell to the visiting Arizona Wildcats.
- Fresno State’s Jalen Cropper averaged nine yards per catch with seven receptions for 63 yards as the Bulldogs blew out visiting FCS Cal Poly 35-7.
- Fresno State defensive lineman David Perales had two tackles and a quarterback hurry.
- Fresno State kicker Abe Montano knocked in all five extra point attempts.
- University of Texas – San Antonio tight end Oscar Cardenas caught two passes for 36 yards in a three overtime thriller as his Roadrunners fell 37-35 to the visiting Houston Cougars.
- Eastern Michigan defensive end/edge rusher Jose Ramirez had one tackle and a quarterback hurry in a 42-34 Eastern Michigan victory over the Eastern Kentucky Colonels.
- Kent State running back Gavin Garcia carried the ball nine times for 30 yards in a 45-20 loss to the University of Washington.
- Central Michigan linebacker Fernando Sanchez III made one tackle in a 58-44 loss to Oklahoma State.
Stay in the Loop
Get the Our Esquina Email Newsletter
By submitting your email, you are agreeing to receive additional communications and exclusive content from Our Esquina. You can unsubscribe at any time.